Nubry’s New Year, Best You Tips
Chances are your New Year’s resolutions are adding up as quickly as the holiday pounds went on. But there’s no need to be overwhelmed — by making subtle, realistic adjustments, you’re more likely to stay on track to a healthier, more vibrant you in the New Year. To help inspire you, we caught up with the Nubry sisters, Britt Hackmann and Gretchen Hackmann, at The Grand Del Mar. The duo run a premier lifestyle, beauty, and fashion blog with a mission of “Helping gals become prettier, healthier, more stylish babes.” The sisters share some of their top tips for achieving your “best you” in 2015. MIA S. PARK
What is your #1 tip for those wanting to achieve optimum health & wellness in the New Year?
The New Year is really the best time to hit the reset button and set some major goals for yourself! Instead of saying, “I need to lose 5 pounds or 10 pounds,” say, “I need to lead a healthy and fit lifestyle.” Look at your overall diet and figure out where it needs to change. Cut out the processed foods, fried, gluten, dairy, and sweets — these are major culprits for weight gain and sickness. Next, figure out how you can burn more calories each week by switching up your exercise routine and doing more high intensity interval workouts — those that really get your heart rate up in a short period of time — but also workouts that assist in detoxification, relaxation, and wellness.
Do you have a favorite workout?
• Orange Theory for their high intensity interval workouts. You wear a heart rate monitor during your 1-hour group workout and it shows you how many calories you burn.
• La Jolla Wellness Studio for their high intensity workout with vibration therapy, which aids in detoxification and anti-aging.
• Our own outdoor workouts because we get to be in the sun, have fun, and breathe in all the fresh air!
• Spark Cycle gets you dripping sweat within minutes of getting on the bike. Not only do we burn a lot of calories during this workout, we get to ride off the stresses of the day while jiving to hit songs.
• Orange Theory — Travis
• La Jolla Wellness Studio — Andrea
• Outdoor workouts/personal training — Adam Schepps
• Spark Cycle — Stephanie
Favorite outdoor workout?
We love to take long runs on the weekend when we have extra time or go to Torrey Pines for the beautiful cliff views. You gotta start early to beat the sun though! And, don’t forget your sunblock.
Are there nutrition guidelines that you stick to?
We eat a diet that’s primarily plant based, but with lean proteins too like wild caught fish and organic, free-range chicken and eggs. As a rule of thumb, we stay away from dairy, gluten, processed foods, and sweets — not because we don’t like them, but because they are really bad for your body. Vegetables are filled with nutrients, high in fiber, and ery satisfying, so it’s pretty easy to eat this way — you’d be surprised what all you can cook up with vegetables and fresh herbs. It’s important not to get caught up in all the fad diets — they don’t work in the long run and they’re not healthy either! Live a balanced and nourished lifestyle, that’s our tip!
Favorite fitness clothing line?
We love lululemon because they bring in new colors every season in our favorite, go-to styles. Love the Ta Ta Tamer bra and the Wunder Under Roll Down high waist pants.
Go-to beauty treatments and/or tips?
• Sleep is so important to us — 8 hours every night!
• Stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the day. Love hot lemon water instead of tea at bedtime, it’s so relaxing.
• Exfoliate your face 3 times a week to wash away skin cells and immediately brighten your complexion. We use Zo Medical Exfoliating Polish.
Favorite local healthy restaurant or food?
• Trilogy Sanctuary is a hidden gem on a rooftop in downtown La Jolla on Fay Avenue (next to Pharmaca). They serve all-vegan, gluten-free, and organic menu options from street tacos and wraps to smoothies and juices — yes, they even have the most amazing desserts. We love the Zen wrap and the Buckwheat crepes.
• Juice Crafters for organic fresh pressed juices and smoothies. We love the Divine Start and always like to get an immunity shot, which comes with a cute little cocktail umbrella.
Photography by Hunter Casten, all wardrobe is from lululemon La Jolla; photographed on location at The Grand Del Mar