Through August 31, 2018
Flower Hill Promenade’s summer initiative, “Growing Kindness inSunshine,” features special installations, activations, and events that showcase the notion that “what sunshine is to flowers, kindness is to humanity.” The initiative was created “to celebrate the many acts of kindness we see every day, and to support [those] in our communities working hard to make a difference,” says Jeffrey Essakow, the center’s managing partner. In addition to the many vibrant installations, special events on June 9, July 14, and August 11 will feature a Cake2Kids Cake Walk, a makers’ bazaar with 25+ vendors, petting farm, custom balloon creations, make and take crafts, artistan face painting, and live music. A special Voices of Our City Choir performance on July 14 at 1pm seeks to change the perception and experience of homelessness. flowerhill.com
Growing Kindness inSunshine highlights include:
- The great wishing tree — Make a wish, write it on a small piece of paper, place it in a glass bottle and make a visit to the “Great Wishing Tree” located in the lower east courtyard of Flower Hill Promenade. Hang your wish on the tree and wait for it to come true.
- “Give and Take” — a social gathering bowl where visitors can take what they need and leave what they can in its place. The give and take bowl will be located outside of Cryoshield on the upper level.
- “I Should Have Said That” —Finally, a chance to express everything you wished you would have said. Put it on paper and put it out to the universe on our walls located right next to Flower Child.
- “Today I Feel” — Get in touch with your feelings and wear them on your sleeve, your shirt (or anywhere you like) with Flower Hill Promenade’s emotion button walls, located outside Core Power Yoga.
- Feeding San Diego Garden — Enjoy the beauty and the bounty of a hand-crafted vertical garden structure displaying seasonal herbs and veggies including tomatoes, strawberries, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, thyme, oregano, lettuce and parsley in the courtyard outside Opus Bank.
- “Noodling Around with Color” — Experience a colorful canopy created entirely with repurposed pool noodles that provides a rainbow of shade over Flower Hill Promenade’s lower east and west courtyards.
- Because Kindness Rocks Project – Be a part of a wonderful grassroots kindness campaign created to cultivate connections within communities and lift others up through simple acts of kindness, it’s simple! Write a message of kindness on a colorfully painted rock, take one, or pass one on, Saturdays June 9, July 14, and August 11 from 2-4:00pm. One message at just the right time can change your entire day, outlook, life! Find The Word Rocks Project on social media: @wordrocksproject
- “What sunshine is to flowers, kindness is to humanity” — a larger than life, step and shoot, paper flower wall by Paperave. Located in the Paseo.
- Featured “Makers” installations — located throughout the mall and changing all summer long. Find something new around every corner as our monthly featured artists change and fresh new artistic wonders appear.
Take part in a summer of kindness June 9, July 14, and August 11 with activities and events aimed to showcase kindness in all its beautiful forms in partnership with some of San Diego’s most impactful charities. Each featured Saturday has a unique set of events and may include activities such as:
- Flower Hill Maker Bazaar, Saturdays May 12, June 9, July 14, and August 11, from 10am-4pm — Discover handmade and uncommon goods at more than 25 vendors throughout the courtyards, enjoy a uniquely curated petting farm and marvel at custom balloon creations, artisan face painting and live music. All children’s activities are free with donation.
- Voices of our City Choir performance — July 14 from 1-2pm — Changing the perception and experience of homelessness one musical performance at a time.
- Queen Bee Craft Night withAmy Tangerine and Mint Studio — Join creative director, collaborator, paper & picture lover, traveler, scrapbooker and author Amy Tangerine and more than 50 of the best craft leaders from across the country for this special ticketed event. Enjoy three take-home crafts, delicious dinners and drinks, swag bags and raffle prizes. Saturday, June 2 from 5pm to 8pm. Tickets at mintstudiosd.com
- Cake4Kids Cake Walk – Giving back is a walk in the Promenade with this sweet and fun cake walk to benefit Cake4Kids, a nonprofit organization that bakes and delivers custom birthday cakes to underprivileged children, raising children’s self-esteem by showing they care through cake. Every child deserves to celebrate. Saturdays June 9, July 14, and August 11, from 10am-4pm.
- Random Crafts of Kindness with Charity Wings at Maker Space — Saturdays June 9, July 14, and August 11, from 10am-4pm. Make and take crafts that give back. Workshop crafts are for all to enjoy and are free with a donation.