The Spreckels Organ Society presents the 27th Annual Summer International Organ Festival, featuring world-class organists and the incomparable Spreckels Organ (soon to celebrate its 100th anniversary and the largest outdoor pipe organ in America), Monday evenings at the Spreckels Organ Pavilion in Balboa Park. All concerts begin at 7:30pm and are free of charge. Light snacks, beverages, and unique gifts are available, with proceeds benefiting the nonprofit Spreckels Organ Society, working to preserve, program, and promote the great Spreckels Organ as a world treasure for all people.
- June 23 Anthony Newman, America’s foremost Baroque interpreter.
- June 30 Monte Maxwell, chapel organist and director of Chapel Music and the Midshipmen Symphony Orchestra at the United States Naval Academy.
- July 7 R. Jelani Eddington, award-winning theatre organist.
- July 14 Wyatt Smith, passionate rising star and graduate student at the Yale Institute of Sacred Music.
- July 21 Robert Plimpton, San Diego Civic Organist Emeritus and resident organist at the First United Methodist Church.
- July 28 Sven Ingvart Mikkelsen, Denmark native and organist at Frederiksborg Castle Church in Hillerød.
- August 4 Stewart Wayne Foster, director of music and organist of the Royal Poinciana Chapel in Palm Beach, Florida.
- August 11 Kimberly Marshall, performer, scholar, and professor of music at Arizona State University.
- August 18 Silent Movie Night featuring Scottish organist Donald McKenzie accompanying two silent film classics: Chasing Choo Choos with Monty Banks (1927), and One Week (1928) a Buster Keaton comedy classic.
- August 25 festival season finale, Come Dancing! with San Diego Civic Organist Carol Williams and special guests, the Moonlight Serenade Orchestra.
Photo by Robert Lang