5 Tips for a Successful First Botox & Filler Session
Posted on Jan. 4, 2017
After careful research and consideration, you’ve decided to take the plunge into the world of cosmetic injectables. Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin relax fine lines and wrinkles, while facial fillers like Restylane and Juvederm smooth contours. Injected in the office, these products can quickly and safely refresh your look. Here are 5 tips from Victor Chung, MD, a San Diego facial plastic surgeon, to help make your first treatment safe and happy. 858.461.0383, lajollafacialplasticsurgery.com
- Keep it Real: Select your doctor based on reputation not price. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it is. Choose a doctor who provides a thorough consultation and tailors a plan specified to your needs. Be clear about your health history including medications, pregnancy, or breastfeeding.
- Keep it Open: Check your calendar for major events. Although there is little downtime from an injection, allow two weeks before any big events. This allows for enough time to see the full effects of the injections and also provides a window of time for a touch-up, if necessary. Avoid scheduling fitness classes, yoga, massage, or facials, during the first 48 hours following your procedure.
- Keep it Pure: To minimize the risk of bruising, avoid painkillers made of aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin), or naproxen (Aleve) for 2 weeks before your treatment. Take acetaminophen (Tylenol) as a safe alternative. Hold off on herbal supplements such as ginko biloba, ginseng, and garlic. Staying away from alcohol before and after the procedure helps too.
- Keep it Healthy: Drink plenty of water leading up to your appointment. Unlike surgery, it is safe to eat normal meals prior to an injection.
- Keep it Clean: A face free of dirt, oil, makeup, and bacteria makes for a safe injection. Show up makeup-free and reduce the amount of time spent cleaning your face.