Posted on November 15, 2019
What’s better than a warm and hearty meal that’s also easy and fun to make as a family? Rather than the same holiday feast this year, consider spicing things up with Enchiladas Suizas, a customer favorite at Diane Powers’ Casa Sol y Mar and Casa de Bandini restaurants, which can easily be made at home and make for great leftovers too — if there are any!
9 cups verde sauce (recipe below)
12 oz of seasoned chicken that’s been boiled for 45 minutes, seasoned with onion, garlic, salt & pepper, and shredded
6 corn tortillas
3 cups grated Jack cheese
3 large (7 oz) cans chiles (chopped)
3 small (4.25 oz) cans chopped black olives
Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and chopped green onions, for garnish.
1. Dip tortillas in verde sauce on each side.
2. Fill each with chicken and chiles and roll into enchiladas. Place in baking dish.
3. Pour remaining verde sauce (approximately 6 cups) over enchiladas.
4. Sprinkle enchilada with Jack cheese
5. Bake at 350º for around 20 minutes.
6. Sprinkle enchiladas with chopped black olives.
7. Garnish with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and green onions.
4.5 lbs fresh tomatillos
4 yellow chiles (optional)
1.5 cups white onion, chopped
1 small bunch cilantro
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3 tsp garlic
½-1 cup water
1. Boil tomatillos approximately 15-20 minutes.
2. Drain and cool with cold water.
3. Peel off outer brown skin.
4. Blend all ingredients in food processor until smooth.
Makes: 6 enchiladas
Photography by Vincent Knakal